Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe
I saw this recipe on Pinterest (search: vegan mac & cheese) the other day, and decided to try it out. Here's the ingredients and instructions for everything.
I think it came out pretty good, and will definitely make it again.
- 10 ounces dried macaroni (or about 2⅔ cups)
- 1 cup peeled/diced yellow potatoes (or russets)
- ¼ cup peeled/diced carrots
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
*The recipe called for 1/3 cup of diced onions, but I didn’t use it in my recipe*
- Soak cashews in water for about 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions
- Drain, and set aside.
- Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and in the boiling water, and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Chopped the veggies small so they will get softer faster
- When veggies are soft enough to blend, place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice, taste for salt, and serve immediately.